Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Keeping Organized



I spent the last few hours getting together recipes I've been finding online that include a lot of the same ingredients.  Even ingredients I have never heard of or used personally I decided to go ahead and write down anyway and found there were many things that could be done with it!


So how to keep organized?  

I hastily asked Garry if he had any unused notebooks around and he handed me one.  I quickly created tabs to glue onto the notebook to separate the different recipes: Pasta, Chicken, Beef, Turkey, Tuna, Pizza, Sides, Salads, and Sandwiches


I then decided the best thing I could do for myself to save the most money and create the best grocery list was to write down the name of the recipe and the ingredients it required.  This way I could flip through my notebook and see common ingredients used, for example: yellow onion.  I have about 10 different recipes that include yellow onion...if I find 3-4 of them for that week, I can make good use of the yellow onions rather than spending the extra money on a variety of ingredients for that week.


I then saved the recipe onto my favorites list for later viewing rather than writing down the entire recipe.


Psssst.  I'm really wishing hard for a recipe binder/notebook this Christmas so I can keep track of them all and just whip 'em out whenever I want rather than looking online and scribbling down something quick before cooking.


As far as planning meals for each day I have only come up with writing them down on paper first then writing them up on our dry eraser calendar board we have in the kitchen, along with posting them here each week.


Needless to say I'm super excited about going grocery shopping on Saturday/Sunday (probably will be Sunday) and beginning to really plan!  


I think I found a good recipe for tomorrow as well to make use of the last chicken breast we have...but it's a secret until tomorrow!  Hopefully it'll be delicious :)

No comments:

Post a Comment