Saturday, October 15, 2011

"Asian Sticky Wings"


"asian sticky wings": my version?  Not sticky and not wings...but still incredibly delicious!


It was an interesting cooking day today.  I'll first post my method of making these chicken breasts (since I have a peculiarity where I hate eating chicken on bones) and then talk about what exactly happened.  They turned out great and filled the house with an amazing smell...but it didn't come without it's problems.


Also, you can click on the link to go to the original recipe whenever you want...my way is almost nothing like her's...only because I hit a snag in the cooking process.


Ingredients
Serving size: 2

  • Chicken Breast (1-2)
  • Honey (1/8 cup)
  • Soy Sauce (2 TBSP)
  • Chili Powder & Garlic (1 TBSP)
  • Oil (1 TBSP)
  • Teriyaki Sauce (2 TBSP)
  • Vinegar (1 TBSP)
  • Ginger (1 TBSP)
  • Green Onion (1 sliced)
Instructions

1. Mix the honey, soy sauce, chili powder/garlic, oil, teriyaki sauce, vinegar, and ginger together in a bowl using a whisk until they are all blended together in a sauce

2. Put the chicken and the sauce in a baking pan and cook at 450 for 20-25 minutes

3. Make another batch of sauce while the chicken cooks

4. After the chicken is cooked, put on a serving plate and pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken

5. Cut the green onion and sprinkle on top

Fair warning: you may end up with black tar crap on your baking dish.  I know I did...and that's where my problems happened.  Unfortunately our baking dish is much too big for the chicken.  To save on the chicken I only used one breast and cut it in half.  Putting that small breast into a large pan=sticky crap everywhere.

After 20 minutes in the oven I opened it up and smoke FILLED the kicthen, setting off the smoke detector (which was promptly turned off).  Thankfully the chicken was alright, but because the sauce spread all over the rest of the pan, it began to bake to a crisp.  Not good.

So in order to fix this, I took the chicken out of the pan (and quickly threw the pan in the sink and filled it with water...hopefully soaking for a few hours will make the cleaning process less awful) and created another batch of sauce to pour over the chicken.

While the sauce was runny, it made for an EXCELLENT decision.  I made my mashed potatoes and the sauce mixed with them, added flavor to the chicken, and was overall amazing to have laying all over the plate.  It would have been amazing over rice as well, for sure.

So while mine ended up nothing like the original recipe it still came out INCREDIBLE.  I'm honestly craving more now.  Though next time I think I'm going to cook the chicken in a sauce pan over the stove with the sauce and see what happens.  Hopefully it'll be more rich and thick like it was supposed to be in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment